Saturday, November 28, 2009

year in review

I checked the last time I blogged and it was last year in December. I figured the world must come to know of my whereabouts. I have since moved locations from the structure where I first arrived. It was bitter sweet. I remember coming into this strange community not knowing the culture, or how to interact. The family I chose seemed to change this past year. Somehow it is possible to increase the number of dependants without going the "natural" route. They seem to be adopted in. I am still trying to fit in so the natives will not notice me. But no matter how well I try to blend in, they seem to find me. They use a variety of names to call me. The most common being mom, they seem to use it all the time whether they know I am around or not. Back to trying to fit in, I have noticed some of the female species are also called mom, but they are more advanced in certain crafts and specialties than I am, so I tried to understand why they go through so much trouble to do big projects when there are so many little things that need to be done too. I decided to make what they call drapes or curtains for the younger girls of the clan. They go around a window. I tried to read literature about this, but some things I am still not too good at reading due to their strange wordings and numbers mixed in. After it was done, the sense of accomplishment was overwhelming! No wonder The Mom's do this! It is to give yourself gratitude in the ways none of the others in the group do. To pat yourself on the back. Mine was more of a bear hug. I could never have been more proud of me. The young girls seemed to like it too.
Here are some picture notes I took from a gathering called Thanksgiving. We went to a place called Callaway Gardens. It was a nice time to enjoy the fresh air.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Your curtains look great! Glad to see some updates on your blog!!!